A PROJECT BY THE LANDMARK SOCIETY OF WESTERN NEW YORK

A Historic Bar/Pub Network

Navigation Menu
Harry G’s

Harry G’s


Factoids

  • The deli section of Harry G’s has had a varied history of uses. Originally a hardware and general store, then a shoemaker’s shop, a bakery, a billiard room, and several groceries. Pictured here is a newspaper clipping of one of the grocers holding the largest onion he had seen in 27 years of business!

  • The bar half of Harry G’s was originally a pharmacy. The owner, John Burkhard, lived upstairs.

  • In 1901 “a lame peddler of shoestrings” broke into Burkhard’s apartment, making off with three watches. He was not convicted for the robbery as proper evidence could not be procured but the unfortunate man was jailed for peddling shoestrings without a license. [Source: Democrat and Chronicle, 2/24/1901 p.19]

  • Harry G’s opened their sandwich shop in the north half of the building in 2012 and expanded the bar into the other half in 2016.

  • The current owners were drawn to the preserved aspects of the space including the floors, ceiling, and exposed brick walls. When they first moved into the space they discovered a pile of bones in the basement and some peculiar scratches on the basement door.




SHARE A FACTOID

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *